Leading Australian carpet manufacturer Godfrey Hirst has collaborated with global contractor Multiplex, architects Hassell Studio and Cox Architecture and carpet contractor Masterfloors to provide a wide array of custom and standard carpets for Western Australia’s world-class, multi-purpose 60,000 seat Optus Stadium.
Thousands of square metres of high quality carpet combines with 14,000 tonnes of structural steel and 51,000 cubic metres of concrete in the gargantuan construction that opened on 21 January 2018.
Located east of the Perth Central Business District on the Burswood Peninsula and boasting views of the picturesque Swan River and Perth city, the Stadium will host a variety of sporting and entertainment events including Australian Football League, International and Big Bash League cricket, soccer, rugby league, rugby union and concerts.
Australia’s leading carpet manufacturer Godfrey Hirst provided custom woven and Australian made Designer Jet® carpet solutions for function rooms, bars, luxury media spaces, locker rooms, suites, corridor spaces, back of house media and administration areas.
The design brief sought to reflect the local community’s close connection to the Swan River and Coastline, and elements of each are presented across carpet and soft furnishings, timber finishes, paint colours and trims. From a performance perspective, the project required high quality, hard wearing and visually arresting floorcoverings to immerse and inspire millions of fans at memorable events for years to come.
The stadium carpet showcases a number of striking carpet designs, perhaps none greater than the main function room, inspired by the Abrolhos Islands off the west coast of Australia. The Abrolhos is a chain of 122 islands and associated coral reefs in the Indian Ocean and its brightly coloured organic features were captured masterfully in the finished woven carpet design.
From the serene to the unexpected, the public lounge and bar features a daring Godfrey Hirst Designer Jet® carpet sharply paired with mint green and white furniture.
Hassell Studio and Cox Architecture worked closely with the dedicated Godfrey Hirst team within a limitless design framework and it definitely shows in the finished result.
Adhering to the project budget was key. Design concepts evolved throughout and were enhanced and optimised while maintaining a fixed bottom line. Godfrey Hirst’s large range of flooring products allowed the budget to be adhered to while maximising the product specification in high impact areas such as the main function room, locker rooms and lounges and recovered those costs with cost effective, hard-wearing carpet tiles in corridors, media and administration areas.
About Godfrey Hirst
With 150 years manufacturing experience in Australia, Godfrey Hirst is renowned as a global flooring expert. For bespoke design, vivid colour, limitless pattern and photorealism capability, and hard-wearing performance, Designer Jet® is Godfrey Hirst’s world class technology to produce Australian Made custom carpets that are limited only by your imagination.
To find out how Godfrey Hirst can assist with your next project phone 1300 444 778 or contact us now.
Project: Optus Stadium, Perth WA
Design: Hassell Studio and Cox Architecture
Carpet contractor: Masterfloors
Photography: Evolve Design Studio
• Premium Corridors and entrances to coaches clubs and suites: Designer Jet® 250 x 1000mm skinny planks
• Coaches club and suites: Custom SDN cut & loop broadloom carpet in a chevron design
• Main function room: Custom Woven Axminster based on The Houtman Abrolhos (a chain of 122 islands, and associated coral reefs, in the Indian Ocean off the west coast of Australia)
• Media Space: Custom Designer Jet® 2m wide sheet
• Public lounge and bar area: Custom Designer Jet® 2m wide sheet
• Function Room: Custom Designer Jet® 2m wide sheet
• Pre-function room area: Custom Designer Jet® 250 x 1000mm skinny planks
• Chairmans Club: Premium custom Woven Axminster
• Good Wood À la carte restaurant: Custom Woven Axminster
• Fremantle Dockers Locker room: Designer Jet® Retro carpet tile in custom colour and Designer Jet® logo
• West Coast Eagles Locker Room: Custom Designer Jet® 500 x 500mm carpet tiles in brand colours
• Offices and back of house spaces:Cosmos 18 - 500 x 500mm carpet tiles